An 8 week course plus a practice session, which will enable you to:
- Develop better resilience in the face of life’s difficulties
- Motivate yourself by developing a lasting sense of self-worth
- Create resources that will help you to meet your full potential
No previous experience is required, although those with previous knowledge of mindfulness will find the course a valuable extension of their existing practice and understanding.
Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) is an eight week training programme based on the groundbreaking research of leading American psychologists Kristin Neff and Christopher Germer. MSC teaches the core principles and practices of self-compassion, enabling us to respond to difficult moments in our lives with kindness, care and understanding. Cultivating self-compassion can fundamentally change how we view ourselves. Research has shown that these techniques can improve our ability to cope with life’s challenges while supporting emotional wellbeing and healthy relationships. Self-compassion provides emotional strength and resilience, allowing us to motivate ourselves with kindness, forgive ourselves when needed, relate wholeheartedly to others, and be more authentically ourselves.
The course will support you in directly experiencing self-compassion and in learning practices that evoke self-compassion in daily life. MSC is primarily a compassion training programme rather than mindfulness training like Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), although mindfulness remains one of the foundations of self-compassion.
Course themes include:
- Bringing self-compassion and mindfulness into your daily life
- Motivating yourself with kindness rather than self-criticism, and so bringing a sense of love and care to yourself
- Building resilience and improving wellbeing
- Handling difficult emotions and situations with greater ease
- Appreciating yourself
- Transforming challenging relationships
- Addressing caregiver fatigue
- Developing an understanding of the science about how self-compassion works
This nurturing programme uses a combination of self-compassion and mindfulness practices, experiential exercises, teaching and discussions. Some home practice is required each week. Handouts will be provided.
The MSC course includes eight weekly sessions on Thursday evenings 6.15 – 8.45pm, beginning on 19 September 2019, followed by an additional practice session (date to be confirmed). Participants should plan to attend all the sessions. Certificates will be available at the end of the course, and for those wishing to continue studying, the course fulfils a key requisite for MSC teacher training.
Cost: £200 (concessions available). Please contact Lynne Dowson on 07500 367644 or firstname.lastname@example.org to book or for further information.
There will be free taster sessions on Thursdays September 5 and 12 at Mindfulness Wakefield, 6.30 – 7.30pm, so please come along if you’d like to find out more.
For more information on MSC:
- go to Dr. Christopher Germer’s self-compassion page: http://bit.ly/1Fu84M2
- or visit www.CenterForMSC.org